SC - Scotch Eggs

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Thu Jan 15 06:13:32 PST 1998

>think I would like to try this baked version, sounds like something that
>would not be as hazzardous to my health!

Healthier version, minor amendments.

Use a 1-pound roll of turkey breakfast sausage; add to it enough (usually
about 3/4 cup) of seasoned bread crumbs, and work it all together until it
will hold up easily when wrapped thinly around a soft-boiled (4-5 minute)
egg.  Roll the coated egg in more of the bread crumbs.  I sometimes like to
lightly dry and toast these for the outside layer.  Place on a jelly-roll
pan (baking sheets without lips are a bad idea.  Eggs love to roll.) and
bake at 350 about 20 minutes, or until the sausage is completely done.

Cheap way to feed a lot of hungry folks, and they're quite portable if
wrapped in foil or such, for lunches.  Or even a hand-held breakfast.
Eoin