SC - onion soup - IP

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Thu Jan 15 17:16:27 PST 1998

<snip>
>Now the redaction I followed (evidentially without checking back against
>the originals, me bad) reads:
>
>ALMOND MILK
>
>1 cup blanched almonds
>2 cups water, wine, or broth
>1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
>dash salt
>white sugar to taste
>
>Grind the almonds coarsely with 1 or 2 teaspoons cold water and place
>them in a large bowl.  Put the water, sugar, and salt in an iron pot and
>bring to a boil.  Pour the boiling water over the ground almonds and let
>sit for 10 to 15 minutes.  Cool completely and serve as a pottage or
>soupy dish.  If it is not sweet enough, add white sugar, a teaspoon at a
>time, until the mixture is satisfactory.
>
>Now, please remember this is not my redaction, and I do not want to get
>into an argument about it comparing to the original.  When I made the
>almond milk it was late at night and I just took it at face value.  I
>guess I know why there is the discrepancy now between what Cariadoc,
>Mordanna, and Ras all mentioned as the consistency of their almond milk
>compared to mine.
>
>Murkial
>(the sheepish)

Hello!  Thank you, milady, for pointing out a typo and a source of
confusion in my redaction of this recipe.  Your timing is quite good, since
I am currently putting the finishing touches on the *second edition* of
Take 1000 Eggs. Another few weeks & it'd be at the print shop!

The ingredients list above should read:
2 cups water (or wine, or broth, as noted in the specific recipe**)

**This recipe for almond milk was intended to be used throughout the book,
in many different recipes.  Some of these called for a "thrifty" or thin
milk, while others called for a thick milk.  Some for wine, and some for
broth or water.

The recipe needs to be amended to give the option of grinding the almonds
to powder in order to yield a smooth pottage. "Grind the almonds coarsely"
is instructed in order to achieve a *clear* milk, which I find difficult to
do when the almonds are ground to flour - the almonds soak up the liquid,
and there are too many particulates (for my tastes) in what little does
trickle out.

BTW, if anyone has noticed anything else that needs fixing, please email
me.  Thanks!

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
http://www.alcasoft.com/renfrow/ - home page