SC - I made Scotch Eggs!

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at vr-net.com
Mon Jan 19 13:14:18 PST 1998

>In a few weeks it should be at the usual site:
>http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html
>
>Hope this helps. I love Scotch eggs, whether they have
>anything to do with Scotland or not. Perhaps you can let
>me try one you make someday :-).
>
>Stefan li Rous
>stefan at texas.net

I made the simple Scotch Eggs recipe that I saw on here last week.  Boiled
eggs, smeared all around with pork sausage (my grocer has some fresh bulk
sausage that I was able to use - not a frozen "jimmy dean" type) and rolled
in bread crumbs.  I used corn flake crumbs, quite frankly because they were
accessible and easy.  I realize they didn't have corn in Medival europe.  I
boiled a dozen eggs, one had a crack and leaked out some, so I ended up with
11 eggs. (I used the cracked egg in a salad for anyone who cares to know.
GRIN.)  It took me an HOUR to wrap sausage around those 11 eggs, and roll
them in the crumbs.  And then another full hour baking them at 375 degrees
to get them cooked to doneness.  MUCH more labor intensive (and since I
didn't KNOW how long it would take them to bake, I had to keep checking them
every 1-15 minutes) than I had anticipated.  I took some to a tea party I
attended and everyone (except the vegetarians) enjoyed them.  I of course
made enough to leave some at home for my husband, and he and our friends
liked them quite well!  I thought the texture was off, but certainly not has
heavy with grease as those we had at the SCA event last summer.  Certainly
edible, and we ate them plain, without mustard.  Seemed as though they would
make a good "prepare ahead" breakfast food.

- -Laurene
- -
*                                          The Tiny Zoo, inc.
*
*                                         Visit our Web Site!
*
*                            http://www.vr-net.com/~tinyzoo
*