SC - Butter in Lent...?

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Jan 19 09:27:53 PST 1998

And it came to pass on 19 Jan 98, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

[snip]
> Another aspect is that I believe that the definitions of fish day,
> fast day, and Lenten day observances changed at various times during
> period, and I believe there were times when dairy foods, and
> products of animals that weren't killed in the process, if you
> follow me, such as eggs, were permissible on some of these days. One
> dish apparently designed under these rules is the Tart for Ember Day
> found in the Forme of Cury: it contains both eggs and cheese, and
> seems to have been eaten on Fast days outside of Lent. I assume
> butter would be acceptable on such days.

There were also indulgences, which allowed one to consume foodstuffs
that were otherwise forbidden.  One Spanish recipe, which I
have seen and cannot for the life of me locate, mentions that
such-and-such a recipe containing dairy is good for Lent, if you have
an indulgence.  And isn't there a "Butter Tower" on some French
cathedral, said to have been financed by the sale of indulgences to
eat butter in Lent?

> Adamantius
> troy at asan.com
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba