SC - Dolphin Fish?

Karla Sexsmith karla at witchhaven.com
Wed Jan 21 09:27:49 PST 1998

>> Porpoises and dolphins are similar but not the same (one has a different
skull
>> structure? maybe?), and they are both mammals, but there are fish called
>> "dolphin fish", that are fish not mammals.
>> - -brid
>> (wracking brain back to when she was infatuated with whales and dolphins)
>
>FWIW, I believe mahi-mahi are a variety of "dolphin" fish. I'll check
>the A.J. MacClane Encyclopdia of Fish Cookery for more details.

I think that what the original poster was referring to, is that there is
actually a variety of dolphin that are fish - and they live in fresh
water... can often be found in rivers and lakes.  I'm not sure what part of
the world they occur in, though.  I watched one of those nature shows on TV
on them once.  I seem to remember being creeped out by their appearance...
I really like dolphins and porpoises, but these things looked quite
different - I seem to remember them looking similar to what pictures of
pre-historic fish look like (and those have always given me the creeps as
well).

Karla
- -------
Karla Sexsmith