SC - Mastadon

Joseph Tolbert jlt11 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 22:30:57 PST 1998

AS you can tell, I am still behind in my mail . . . How do you
cook a mastadon ? the other year I saw an article in PRIMITIVE
TECHNOLOGY magazine that attempted to answer that - in the article,
an elephant had died at a zoo, and a group of "experimental "
archeologist / anthtopologist butchered it using stone tools they
had made and cooked the meat. . . within the last century
mamoth has been eaten when they emerged from glaicers. As I
recall one that came to light around 1960 had been quick frozen
(estimate was air temperature dropped to -200 degrees F ) so
there were still fresh green leaves on stomach - not just fallen
in a crevasse.

As for the cook pot, you can always line a hole with the skin, and
toss in hot rocks - it brings the cookpot with it.

Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr              jlt6 at hotmail.com