SC - Steppes 12th Night Report

DUNHAM Patricia R Patricia.R.DUNHAM at ci.eugene.or.us
Thu Jan 22 15:24:00 PST 1998

Hoo-hah!  Inter-Kingdom Anthro. Alert!

| Our server did a good job. I don't think she skipped anybody or any
| item. It just took her a while to serve everyone around an 18 person
or
| so table. Usually by the time she had made it around, the side she
| started with had finished their item and she would ask if anyone
wanted
| seconds. After a couple of rounds we got her to alternate the sides
she
| started on to even this out.

 --An 18 (EIGHTEEN) person table?!?  And the server literally "served"
each person?

Wow.  Although it's been a while, I'm used to 8-person tables, with
every dish  being cooked or served in a size that's divisible by the
per-table number.  The servers bring the several dishes of the (course)
to the table at the beginning of the course and the diners serve
themselves.  Pie-type items will be pre-cut in the kitchen, but
otherwise, all the diners at the table, even if strangers, are expected
to be responsible about not taking more than their share on the first
pass of a dish around the table.  I must say, this report makes the
"one-dish-at-a-time" service comments I'd been wondering about seem
somewhat more comprehensible...

(The halls and table set-ups I'm familiar with from the "olden days"
usually didn't have sufficient passage room between tables for someone
to circulate around the table, stopping and balancing and maneuvering,
anyway -- probably why it would never have occurred to me (AND I haven't
read the servers thread yet, 8-). )

Chimene