SC - pasties in period

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Jan 22 21:27:43 PST 1998

Hello! from Anne-Marie

Here's my rendition of a pastellum. This is a very popular dish in our
barony. And yes, you leave the whole sage leaves in. If you use the smaller
ones, and/or remove the woody stems, its not QUITE so much like eating a
whole mouse :)...

> > The source is the Early 13th century Northern european cookbook in
> > Cariadocs collection.
> > The original text:
> > Recipe 30: How one preapres a chicken in a pie (pastellum)
> > One should cut in two a young chicken and wrap it in whole leaves of
> sage,
> > add cut bacon and salt. And wrap the chicken in dough and bake in
> the oven
> > like bread. In the same manner one can make all kinds of fish pies
> and pies
> > of fowl and other means.
> >
> > There is a similar recipe in le Menagier (14th century French) that
> says:
> > Chicks may be placed in pastry, back side down and breast up, and
> broad
> > slices on the breast and cover.

There's a similar one in the German corpus as well (Das Buch von Guter
Spise), using "breasts of hens or other good meat".