SC - Sumac (was: Imam Bayaldi)

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 23 09:44:29 PST 1998

Amra, cleaning out his mailbox again, came across a recipe for Imam
Bayaldi and took a closer look at the ingredient list:

> sumac

I've had an outstanding request from my (mundane) brother for
sources and alternatives for this ingredient. I understand that it
might also be marketted as "zamak" or some other spellynge
variations. I have inquired at halal markets and some Oriental
groceries, but have yet to find this commercially available.

I also gather that I can't just trot over to my grandparent's farm
and harvest some of the bushes to obtain the Middle Eastern version
of this (although I have done some mild experimentation with red
sumac "tea", I believe this is a New World variety -- appropriate to
my SCA persona and for Boy Scout "survival" camps, not acceptable to
some of you who are striving for _medieval_ instead of _SCA period_
...)

And, yes, I do know the difference between red & poison sumacs!

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com