SC - coffe and tea at events

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 20:42:46 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/23/98 2:53:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< A Middle Eastern persona from when? >>

15th Century, Turkish

<<Is it clear that at any point prior to 1600, the pattern of routinely
offering coffee to guests had been established anywhere? >>

Unfortunately, I have lent out my major source of info on this subject. :-(
However, IIRC, there were various laws in place by this time forbidding and
shutting down coofee houses. If my memory is correct, would not the
proliferation of such laws be substantial evidence that it's use was rather
widespread?

<<Are you sure you aren't simply projecting 19th century patterns backwards?>>

Now that you've brought it up, no I can't be sure at this moment. This may
well be a possibility since I read everything I had available when the subject
came up. Without those sources at my fingertips,  information may be somewhat
blurred although I don't think so.

<< Despite the fact that the coffee served (modern) is out of period for
 everyone there, and all coffee and tea inapparopriate for all but a tiny
 fraction?>>

I was of course speaking tongue in cheek. But I can't fathom how it would be
any more distracting than the black powder garb a good portion of SCA'ers wear
around in the public areas.

 <<If your problem is a caffein addiction,>>

I actually never percieved it as a problem. :-)

<< period for pre 1600 Europeans (unlikely, I admit, but one can dream),
wouldn't bringing such pills and taking them unobtrusively be a better
solution than setting up a source for out of period drinks at the event?>>

All things considered , it would probably be a better solution in the
situation you mention, but given the events that I frequent most often I am
sure that a very large portion of the attendees would view the lack of such a
set up as a major social blunder on the part of the host. :-)

<< David/Cariadoc
 http://www.best.com/~ddfr/ >>

Yours in service to the Dream,
Ras