SC - Where are you?

Helen Brown browns at mail.intplsrv.net
Sun Jan 25 08:20:55 PST 1998

Answering an sca-cooks request for information on Where are you?

I'm located in the Stronghold of FalconRidge which is physically
located in Altus, Oklahoma, the southwest corner of the state.  We
are only 3 years old and attached to Altus Air Force Base with a
revolving population (I'm one of the locals since my husband
retired from the Air Force in 86).  We are also the only stronghold
in the Kingdom of Ansteorra.  Used to communte 120 miles round trip
to the Barony of Eldern Hills meetings in Lawton, OK.  When we had
generated enough interest in Altus, 4 of us got the military families
and local familes who were interested (but not enough to commute)
together and chartered our own group.  Became Incipient in April 1995
and full-fledged official in October 1996.  Some of us still
occassionally attend the Barony meetings as we still fall under them
as a Stronghold.  We're aiming for Barony someday. (Ha!Ha!) Altus
isn't that big even with the military base.
 In the SCA  I have an AoA, Sable Thistle in Costuming,  Iris of
Merit (which lets me use Honorable Lady in front of my name), Code
Enciene (sp?) from the Barony of Eldern Hills and Sable Comet
(Kingdom service award for those in groups below a Barony).  Mostly
do any type of needlework, costuming (research, adapting, and
handsewing everything), am striving to perfect my blackwork
embroidery and teach all of the above to anyone willing to learn.  In
the past have run and helped run taverns for the Barony and the
Stronghold, have helped with various feasts and have co-autocrated
one event.  Persona is a late Tudor, early Elizabethan London
Noblewoman who has been presented to the King or Queen depending upon
what particular era I'm striving for at that event and married to a
Scottish Border-Merchant (explains why my Lord is never with me as he
doesn't play, but does encourage me).
 Mundanely, I am a LAN manager on Altus Air Force Base and computer
manager for the squadron I work in.  Love computers.  Read
science-fiction/fantasy, love Mercedes Lackey and Anne McCaffrey. Had
major surgery in December, with evidently a slow build up to the
condition, as I haven't evented much in the last year or so or even
felt like it.  Am striving to get all my strength and energy back and
will try to event at least once a month during the rest of this year.
Sorry for the long post, but I know that not even the Anteorreans
know much about me. Hope this helps.....
Helen Brown
HL Hellen Bales MacQueene
browns at intplsrv.net