SC - camphor

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Sun Jan 25 13:59:24 PST 1998

Greetings!  Crystal of the Westermark wrote:

>There are instructions for distilling in Curye on Inglysch, I think
>some cooks would have made brandy to produce the famous fire breathing
>subitiles.

I haven't seen brandy listed as needed for making things flame.
Camphor is what the period cookery books call for.  Cotton or other
flammable things are soaked in camphor and then set alight to produce a
dragon's flame (St. George's dragon, not SCA fantasy), etc.

Alys Katharine

What *is* camphor? I thought it was a petroleum product. How would
they have produced it in the Middle Ages? How else was it used in
the Middle Ages?

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net