SC - Sharpening Fine Points or Will Adamantius Tell All?

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Jan 26 10:48:15 PST 1998

>Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 20:00:23 +1100 (EST)
>From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
>Subject: Re: SC - Sharpening Fine Points or Will Adamantius Tell All?

This thread is perfect. It makes me think, and makes me want to improve in
accuracy for my own sake. Being a person whose will is usally stronger than
her sense of historicity (and being a former long-term seneschal), however,
it leads me to suspect a few things.

Here's a hypothetical and wholly imaginary story, which presents my hypothesis:

Once upon a time, two great cooking masters, Master C and Master A, chanced
to meet in a great metropolis. Taking the opportunity to enjoy an afternoon
in each other's company, they discussed many significant things. Chiefest
amongst these topics, however, was the subject of their beloved art.
"Pray tell me, Master C," quizzed Master A, "What is it that you would most
like to change about the quality of the Art of Cooking as it is commonly
experienced in the SCA?"
"Why, 'tis simple, Master A" replied Master C. "Chiefest amongst all my
desires is a quest for accurate knowledge, applied in a logical manner,
with historically accurate results. For if we can accurately portray the
cunning puzzle of food as experienced in the Medieval period and
Rennaisance, it could enhance the lives of those who participate in our
Society. Truly it occurs to me that we have the tools to grant my wish
within our hands, could we but find a way to use them."
"Verily" intoned Master A, "I too would wish solely for the uniform
application of sound knowledge gathering, logical thinking, and accurate
representation. It occurs to me as well that, as two leading lights in the
cooking field, we could perhaps lead the gentle cooks towards a more
historical approach by schooling them in the art of information gathering
and application by piqueing their curiosity about their chosen art. My own
favorit method for accomplishing this is in the form of a teaching dialog
between Master and Student."
"By all means" quoth Master C, "let us begin to construct such a dialog, in
the hopes that we can steer the populous of fine cooks towards a greater
understanding of our Art. I am certain that we will all learn some wonderful
things along the way."

Finis

And so, steer on, gentle shepherds. Whither thou goest, etc.....

Aoife (once a Lilly of the Field, now toiling and spinning like mad).