SC - Fw: Digest responses, LLOONNGG!!

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Jan 26 14:38:55 PST 1998

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Date: Monday, January 26, 1998 11:59:51
: From: phlip
: To: Cooks
: Subject: Fw: Digest responses, LLOONNGG!!
:
:  First off, let me apologize for what was meant as a private post, as my
: server has the sneazles, a very peri-oid ailment and has   been sending
: other posts anywhere but where I want them.
:
:  Second, the following information - everything is an infusion unless
noted
: otherwise.
:
:   I used to be addicted to caffeine, and I tapered off by drinking 1/2 and
:   1/2 caff/decaf coffee.
:
:   As a heavy smoker, I have frequent bouts with bronchitis in the winter,
: and
:   I've found that ANY warm drink will help with the congestion. If you can
:   get yourself down to an acceptable level of caffiene consumption. switch
:   decaf. Lacing it with a bit of Brandy helps, but do keep in mind that
THAT
:   can be a problem also.
:
:   Thanks to the wonderful suggestions of the people on this list, I went
up
:   to Waldenbooks and spent this months disposable income and a little more
: on
:   the books they had on special, and I found a beautiful book called  "The
:   Complete Book of Herbs" by Andi Clevely and Katherine Richmond,
:   ISBN #0 8317 11847, for ONLY
:   19.98. It's well illustrated and tends to agree with my other herb
books,
:   which I can't find now because they're in storage. I'm giving you ALL
the
:   data, because it makes for at least the fifth complete book of herbs
I've
:   bought over the years. You'd think folks could come up with another
title.
:
:  Anyway, I've been looking through it and pulling out recipes for chest
:  congestion, and following is what I've got. I figure if you have the
:  ingredients, it'll be easier to find out if your persona would have had
:  access to them. I make no claims for the periodicity of anything.
:
:  Basic Infusion
:
:  ! oz. fresh Herb
:  2 1/2 cups boiling water
:  honey.
:
:  Infuse 10-15 min. to taste, add honey to taste. Drink HOT!
:
:  Herbs:
:
: Seeds of greater burdock (Crushed, about !/10 oz.)
: Borage- Coughs and congestion
: Alecost(1/2 oz. fresh)
: Rocket- cough remedy
: Boneset
: Fennel-expectorant- CAUTION-avoid large doses.
: Liquorice- Bronchial catarrh- CAUTION- can have laxative properties,
:      long-term use can raise blood pressure, lower potassium,
:      and lead to sodium retention.
:   Curry plant-essential oil only for resp problems
:   Hyssop-expectorant-flowering tips
:   English lavender- cough suppressant
:   Common mallow- flowers- colds and bronchitis
:   Lemon balm- colds and influenza
:   Bergamot- infusion vapors inhaled- CAUTION-can cause photosensitivity in
:         some people
:   Catmint (catnip)- tea for colds CAUTION- Quat Alert!- Don't leave it out
: or
:          it will mysteriously vanish!
:   Oregano (also Marjoram)- expectorant, coughs, sore throats
:   Royal Fern- boiled roots-- dysenttery, coughs, and pulmonary disorders
:   Wild Parsley- coughs- CAUTION Avoid during pregnancy or if have kidney
:          problems.
:   (Wild) Purslane- fevers, headaches, and chest complaints
:   Lungwort- young leaves used for flavoring in soups, stews and salads,
:        infusion of flowering plant used for intestinal and pulmonary
:        ailments
:   Comfrey-- infusion used for bronchitis, but CAUTION- recent evidence
:   suggests it may be carcinogenic
:   Thyme- digestive and respiratory, loosens mucus
:   Red clover- expectorant
:   Nasturtium- all parts, also good salad herb.
:   Coltsfoot- bronchitis and laryngitis when added to herbal smoking
: remedies-
:          CAUTION- close relative to comfrey
:   Stinging nettle - older leaves laxative, expectorant and styptic in
:          infusion. CAUTION- handle with care. It DOES sting!
:
:
:    My personal favorite for both flavor and function is a combination of
:     thyme
:     (any flavor) and mint (any flavor). Both are easy to grow.
:     Other than Catnip, they usually reserve the mints for digestive
: disorders,
:     but I find a mint tea to be very good for my congestion.
:
:
: phlip at morganco.net
:
: Never a horse that cain't be rode,
: And never a rider that cain't be throwed.