SC - sauces thickened with eggs: long post

Crystal A. Isaac crystal at pdr-is.com
Mon Jan 26 17:14:16 PST 1998

There's a reason I always teach at our local collegiums. My students
know more than I do. Here's a great cooking technique I got from the
last one:

When thickening [hot liquid] with eggs, take a seperate bowl and whip
the room-temprature eggs madly. Add a small amount* of [hot liquid] to
the eggs, whip madly again. Add the mad eggs and [hot liquid] to the
main body of [hot liquid]. Stir frantically. You will get a
lovely&smooth caudle/sauce/soup/[hot liquid].

*perhaps 1/2 or 1/4 of volume of eggs

Good luck and thank you for the recipes/translations,
Crystal

Dan Gillespie wrote:

> Hello to the list:
>         There are several meat recipes in the 1607 Arte de Cozina that I've
> been puzzling over for a few weeks now.  The recipes call for sauces to be
> made with eggs, vinegar & sometimes drippings from the pan.  I have been a
> bit reluctant to try these as I am afraid that I will either end up with
> seasoned scrambled eggs, something resembling egg drop soup or perhaps a
> curdled looking sauce.  Any suggestions for particular cooking techniques
> are much appreciated.  Below are some excerpts the the cookbook.
snip