SC - Growing your own

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 06:59:06 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/26/98 11:40:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Mordonnade at AOL.Com writes:

<< I have fond memories of the beautiful crabapple tree in my front yard when
 was a child.  I remember it as HUGE, and covered with acres of pinky-white
 flowers that smelled absolutely delicious in Spring.  Fall brought little
 berry sized fruit that was astringent to the max until frost hit it and made
 it sweet.  Mama canned crabapple jelly from the fruit, and it was wonderful.
 Seems like she always added a bit of lemon peel to it.

 Mordonna (getting nostalgic for the South) >>

The crab tree I remember was also huge and ancient. The scent of the flowers
was almost overwhelming when it was in full bloom. The apples it produced were
yellow-green with a reddish-pink tinge on one side. They were 1 and a half to
2 inches in diameter. They had a luscious acid flavor when fully ripened. We
also used them to make jelly. I suspect because of the location of the tree
that it was a pippin in the generic sense of the word.

Unfortunately granddad sold the property to avoid family infighting.  A recent
drive-by revealed that the old sugar maples and lilac bushes had been cut down
and the currant, blueberry and blackberry patches were bulldozed, along with
the beautiful stone walls, spring house and stairways, to "grade" the
property. It now appears as sterile as the other properties around it.  :-(
Fortunately I have a clear arial photograph taken before the current owners
decided to destroy 18 yrs. of love and nurturing.  It is my dream that someday
I will find a place in a "hollow" and try to recreate some of the work my
granddad so tenderly started.

Ras