SC - Agriculture

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 07:45:46 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/27/98 12:48:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, acrouss at gte.net
writes:

<<  Also, there have been centuries of breeding twixt then and
 now...the bantam chicken now may or may not be the same size as the bantam
 back then.

 --AM >>

Although I agree in principle here.  There are in fact extant breeds and
varieties of agricultural plants and animals that have not been "improved" and
or changed in anyway.  Even given natural selection the time frame we are
talking here is much too short for evolutionary effects and when varieties and
breeds undergo major changes they are ALWAYS without exception renamed.

I maintain that the last 100 years of technological advancement has had very
little impact on agriculture other than the acquisition of NEW varieties and
breeds, COMMERCIAL farming techniques and the horrendous use of pesticides and
artificial fertilizers.  Any cursory study of agriculture will show that this
is true.

Even if some small concession is made, there are many private individuals and
special interest grower groups that have and are maintaining original
varieties of plants and breeds of animals with some even going so far as to
back breed if the original has been lost.

If information exists that definitively refutes my theories in this matter, I
certainly am willing to modify my viewpoint.  All existing literature that I
have been to access; including the opinions of several professionals in
agriculture; seems to support my original theory in this matter.  A vague
notion that we are somehow more "advanced" than our medieval counterparts in
all areas of life is, IMHO, somewhat presumptuous and smacks not a little of
misplaced self-importance.  If there is factual information refuting my
theory, I would like to peruse it.  Since the agricultural society that
dominated the earth for 10,000 yrs.  Is of particularly interest to me, I am
always looking for documents to expand my knowledge in this field.

Ras