SC - Re:Feast planning

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Jan 28 08:01:56 PST 1998

> I would gently remind you though that if historical
> accuracy is the issue then the lord of the manner should be providing all the
> food for  guests thus relieving the cooks of any headaches regarding budget.
> ;-)

The "Lord of the Manor" does just that. He gives the cook free reign to feed his
guests and a budget to work with. It's the cook's job to work within the budget
the "Lord" provides. I didn't spend $1500 of my own money on 12th Night.

> <<But I must admit that we do not have breakfast or lunch boards>>
>
> Bummer.

Agreed. Maybe we should start looking into something like that.

>  Since multiple courses are the exception rather than the rule at
> most events I have attended (e.g. 3 or 4 courses with 3 or 4 dishes in each
> course plus subtleties and desserts,

I've never done a feast with all of the neat subtleties (I'd love to but as far
as art is concerned, I'm a talentless slob) but most of the feasts around here
run 3 courses with dessert as the final course.

> you can see how having a set number of
> servings can be a great boon to the Kitchen co-ordinator. The number of
> feasters is usually limited to the number the feast hall will sit.

A good idea but we have rarely used the hall space. Being crammed in cheek-to-jowl
is a fairly common occurrance. We just get "real friendly".

> I also would modify my former
> statement to say that if the Crown showed up and had not pre-registered, I
> would feel it my personal duty and obligation to see that they were fed even
> if I had to pay for it myself.

The Crown, Baron & Baroness, sometimes the current Champion and/or Cavalier are
already figured into the site and feast fees and don't pay or register anyway for
just about every event I've attended.

> << Ras>>

Yers,

Gunthar