SC - porrey chapeleyn

Jamey R. Lathrop jlathrop at unm.edu
Fri Jan 2 08:54:10 PST 1998

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> >         88.  For to make a porrey chapeleyn, tak an hundred onyons o[th]er
> > an half, & tak oyle de olyf & boyle togedere in a pot; & tak almande mylk
> > & boyle yt & do [th]ereto.  |  Tak & make a [th]ynne paast of dow, & make
> > [th]erof as it were ryngis.  Tak & fry hem in oyle de olyue or in wyte
> > grees & boil al togedere.

> If Lady Allegra Beati has a different redaction of this that her cooks'
> group worked on, I'd love to see it. Mine is still in the experimental
> stage, and is more intuitive than reasoned.

> Adamantius

Ours is very similar, although that was one of the last recipes we
redacted, we were tired, we didn't get around to making the dough rings
(even though I'd brought out the old pasta maker).  It's pretty darned
foolproof.  I'll dig up precisely what we did on Monday (I'm in the
process of packing up to move and am a little swamped at the moment! :-)

We definitely agree on the addition of salt and pepper, and also added a
little nutmeg.  It really brings out the flavor; otherwise, the soup is a
little on the sweet and bland side.  The leftovers from our redaction
party were taken to a mundane book club the next morning and were very
well received.  One comment:  this stuff is FILLING!

Allegra Beati