SC - OT using stock and left overs...

DUNHAM Patricia R Patricia.R.DUNHAM at ci.eugene.or.us
Fri Jan 2 08:59:00 PST 1998

I'm trying the "freezing in ice cube trays" business for the first
time-- I have a girlfriend who lives alone and swoons over the potatoes
from the bottom of the turkey pan whenever she eats with us (as many
holidays as we can manage).  We both happen to have little ceramic
ramekins (with lids, of course) that would about fit one chopped-up
potato, plus one ice-cube of turkey-stock, and she might be able to do
this for herself, throughout the year!

We freeze plain turkey stock in about 1-cup lumps, and/or my husband
makes great "chicken-soup" base in volume, that also gets frozen in
1-cup lumps... just right for doing roast potatoes when we're having
(real) roast chicken for dinner, or single servings of "chicken soup"
for lunches (mine; another case of he can concoct great stuff he'd never
eat himself)...

Since we have a whole turkey about every other month, and are not
currently feast cooking, freezing smaller amounts like this is
sufficient for our needs.  (Now if we could just get the 5-yr-old to try
the roast potatoes!  He's playing "the only part of my life I can
control is what I WON'T eat", for quite a while now, drat.)

Do you recommend metal or plastic ice-cube trays?  I think I cracked a
plastic one (it was too cold, I think, I didn't think to warm it up with
tap water after I dumped out the ice-cubes) with warm stock straight
from the pot... (just a single compartment, thankfully).

Thanks,
Chimene
 ----------
| From: Drisana Amineh Ayieshia
| To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
| Subject: SC - OT using stock and left overs...
| Date: Friday, January 02, 1998 2:59AM
|
| I also freeze my stock in ice cube trays and then put into plastic bag
with
| lable as to type....then when you just need a small amount you  pop a
few
| cubes out and defrost them....also have you used stock in place of
liquid
| for other recipies ie mashed taters...works wonders and flavors are
much
| better.....I also make up intstant dinners with left overs from feasts
etc
| and then only have to pop them in the microwave or put into a pot with
a lid
| (instant oven when yours doesnt work )
| Now I know that all this has nothing to do with sca cooking but yet it
does
| for you can save things left over from one feast and feed others from
it as
| they would have done with left overs waste not want not....but they
gave the
| pigs etc the left overs so their left overs never went entirely to
waste
| errr or is that waist????
|
| Hope that this helps and hey Dragonfyr leave the guys ears alone!!!!!
( or
| mommy dearest will get you)
| Drisana

SCA-Cooks".