SC - Drink suggestions? LONG

David Friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Jan 3 18:04:44 PST 1998

Crystal writes:

>Also adapted from: Anonymous. _An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the
>13th Century....
>
><Begin Quote>Syrup of Fresh Roses, and the Recipe for Making It
>Take a ratl of fresh roses, after removing the dirt from them, and cover
>them with boiled water for a day and night, until the water cools and
>the roses fall apart in the water. Clean it and take the clean part of
>it and add to a ratl of sugar. Cook all this until it takes the form of
>a syrup. Drink an uqiya of this with two of hot water.... <End Quote>
>
>1 tabelspoon rose extract
>2 oz dried rosehips
>1 pound sugar
>water to one gallon
>
>Rose extract can be found at Indian grocery stores. Bring sugar and
>rosehips to a gentle boil in 1 or 2 quarts of water until the rosehips
>have given the solution a pleasant pink color. Skim out all the pieces
>of rosehips (strain if necessary). Add water to one gallon. Allow
>solution to cool to 70 degrees, and add rose extract and champagne
>yeast. Stir. Bottle quickly. Allow to stay at room temperature for about
>3-5 days then keep refregerated.

I don't see much connection between your version and the original. Yours is
a fermented drink made of rose extract, rose hips, and sugar. The original
is an unfermented syrup made from roses and sugar, and drunk diluted in hot
water. Fermented drinks are, of course, forbidden by Muslim law--and, so
far as I can recall, there are none in Manuscrito Anonimo.

>#3 Lavender Drink
>Adapted from Anonymous. _An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the 13th
>Century. ..

><Begin Quote> Syrup of Lavender (Halhal)
>Take a ratl of lavender and cook it in water to cover, until its
>substance comes out. Then take the clear part and add it to a ratl of
>honey, and cook all this until it is in the form of a syrup. Drink an
>uqiya and a half of this with three of hot water....<End Quote>
>
>Simmer equal volumes of lavender and sugar in water, dilute for
>drinking.

Honey and sugar have noticeably different flavors.

>#5 Cold Almond Milk
>Adapted from _An Ordinance Of Pottage: An Edition of the Fifteenth
>Century Culinary Recipes in Yale University's MS Beinecke 163_. Edited
>by Constance Hieatt.
>
>1 cup water
>1/2 cup sugar or clarified honey
>1/2 teaspoon salt
>1/2 cup blanched finely ground almonds
>1/8 cup wine (use verjus, pomegranate juice or omit for completely
>non-alcoholic beverage)
>toasted bread
>
>Place one cup of water into a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium
>heat. Add sugar (or honey) and salt. Stir quickly so the sugar (or
>honey) dissolves without burning. When dissolved, remove from heat and
>allow to cool. Add finely ground almonds to the sugar water and mix. Add
>wine and mix again. Toast bread, then brush it with a little wine and
>allow the bread to dry. Serve cool with toast.

You don't give the original. The almond milk recipes I am familiar with
conistently strain out the solid part of the almonds; does this one omit
that step?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/