SC - observation-OT

margali margali at 99main.com
Mon Jan 5 07:18:58 PST 1998

> If I may be so bold, m'lady Margali, I don't think the person
> requesting a
> discussion on open -pit cookery was being critical. I feel that they
> were only
> trying to open a topic on namely> open-pit cookery.
>
> Ras

well understood, but also keep in mind her suggestion of the dutch oven
isnt necessarily entirely period, either.

on the topic, however-i have used a romertopf sealed with flour paste
and burried in coals- sort of my mod of beggers chicken when i gots a
bird with no feathers, and no mud. works well, but my mod was to build a
small fire around the pot before lighting it, to temper the pot so it
wouldnt crack, then when the coal bed was starting, to put the pot on
the coals and put a few small pieces in at a time to keep the heat
constant rather than big pieces for a larger change in temp. i also
soaked the pot and added a bit more than the 1 cup of wine they
suggested, i added 2. of course, the outside is now black, but i dont
care.
margali