SC - Rose Soda redaction questions

Crystal A. Isaac crystal at pdr-is.com
Mon Jan 5 12:17:59 PST 1998

I'm sorry, I should look more critically at my writing before posting, I
just really like medieval beverages and sometimes I get more hasty than
necessary.
Bring the water to steaming and add the rose petals. A boil of little
tiny bubbles is best. I think a really hard boil will make the rose
petals or rose hips disenergrate slightly and that makes it harder to
get all the fluid out when straining. If you push the petals/hips
through the strianer (cloth or metal) the resulting soda will be
somewhat cloudy. (BTW, rose hips are only necessary when using an
extract instead of petals, hips are needed only to mimic the color not
provided by extract.)

If you perfer not to strain this beverage before serving, pour with
great caution. Rose petals get kinda gross after many days in liquid.

You can drink this as a still (uncarbonated) beverage for greater
authenticity. I usally force carbonate and chill for serving, but of
course, there's no good reason for that.

Crystal of the Westermark

Alderton, Philippa wrote:

> I've gotten the impression that seething is a hard simmer or a soft boil,
> just from the context of the recipes I've seen. Opinions, anyone?
> Adamantius, I know you're out there.
snip