SC - Fw: [EXP] Fw: Coffee, Tea, and Sugar

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue Jan 6 07:34:47 PST 1998

More from Exploration on Coffee.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Date: Tuesday, January 06, 1998 01:36:14
: From: Andre Engels
: To: Exploration
: Subject: Re: [EXP] Fw: Coffee, Tea, and Sugar
:
: The following was originally sent by Paul D. Buell
(pdbuell at sprintmail.com),
: but refused by majordomo as a non-member submission.
:
: Andre Engels.
:
:
: > Coffee, early 16th century in Egypt, maybe a little before, shortly
: > thereafter in Turkey, in south France by late 17th century even earlier
in
: > England, but not a common beverage until the 17th century. Tea, 16th
century
: > in the trading countries, already a commodity in the Turkic world prior
: > that date, probably generally in use 17-18th centuries. Sugar is much
older,
: > probably introduced (as a refined product) through Muslim Sicily. Oh,
did I
: > mention that Coffee was a medicinal before it was a beverage. There is a
: > single coffee bean surviving from the Golden Horde capital destroyed at
the
: > very end of the 13th century, as I recall. Coffee is, of course, from
: > Ethiopia and got to Egypt via Yemen. On the history of tea, note who
calls
: > it cha or chai and who calls it tea. Cha is north Chinese, tea is from
the
: > Fuchienese pronunciation of cha. Enough already... Paul D. Buell