SC - Apricot recipes?(was Byzantine Cooking)

DianaFiona DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 09:07:51 PST 1998

<<
  Al-Baghdadi has (at least) two "mishmishiya" recipes. One has apricot sized
  meatballs in it, the other--which is the one I was mentioning--uses dried
  apricots and is very good. I believe that "Naranjiya" (a similar recipe
  using oranges) is immediately after it. Hope that helps.

  David/Cariadoc
  http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

      Managed to find time to dig it out yesterday--not hard, since it turns
out to be in the first chapter! A few questions about it if I may?
      How "soupy" do you find it works best? I don't have it in front of me,
but I don't think it indicates, could be nearly dry meat or a stew. And the
meat is supposed to be "cut small"--have you been reading this as minced or
just small pieces? And one last minor querry--it calls for mastic, which I
would have to mail order. How strong a flavor does mastic have, and what might
it be similar to? (In other words, if I just leave it out will it make a big
difference, and is there a reasonable substitute?)
      Thanks bunches!

   Ldy Diana