SC - Making Soda

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 6 19:44:58 PST 1998

Tyrca wrote:

> <<
>  I vaguely remember some comments about stopping a yeast reaction by
>  giving it too much sugar.  If that is the case, then using the
> champagne
>  yeast in an over-sugared solution would likely produce a sweet, fizzy
>
>  drink.  Tyrca may have the answer.  If she doesn't, I'm having Sunday
>
>  supper with our local braumeister and I'll ask him.
>
>  Bear
>   >>
> I am not the yeast expert, your dinner guest is.  He has strains
> memorized,
> and can quote them by flocculation rate!  I just make nice sweet
> pyment.
>
> tyrca

Dear Fuzzy one,

Champagne yeast is a strain that has been bred for its high alcohol
tolerance and propensity to break down more sugars in wines.  It is
probably less flocculant until higher alcohol levels are reached.

The feeding it of large amounts of sugar to halt fermentation is awfully
suspect as many meds start with drastically high specific gravity
(dissolved sugars) and churn away quite nicely.  The eventual dormancy
caused by high alcohol can explain your theorum above.  Feeding it highr
amounts of sugars will leave more residual sweetness due to inability to
eat it all before toxic levels.  The kind of sugar also impacts the
yeasties' dining ease.....simple sugars (glucose) over polysaccharides
like fructose, dextrose or sucrose.
Lactose is very difficult for most strains to digest, giving rise to
milk stouts.

Hope this gives a little clarity,

fra niccolo