SC - re: OOP - carbonating beverages

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Jan 7 13:18:51 PST 1998

Good Crystal, maker of sublime brewstuffs, writes:

> I've been told (THIS IS HEARSAY! PLEASE CHIME IN IF YOU HAVE
> TESTED INFORMATION!) that you can buy little cartriges of CO2 at some
> cook shops. Apparently they are used to make whipped cream _really_
> fluffy. I don't know if you could carbonate a syrup with them, but let me know
> how your experiment turns out.

Milady, I believe you are referring to the notorious "Whippit," a nitrous oxide (NO2) cartridge.  This device, when used safely and correctly in conjunction with the steel canister, locking lid and premeasured cream and sugar, makes lush, lovely fresh whipped cream.

Unfortunately, subculture is currently popularizing them as a semilegal drug apparatus by using the concentrated NO2 as an inhalant.  Nasty, dangerous thing to do....

I only bring up the latter point because this may make the darn things much harder to purchase.  You might get a lot of questions about why you want them and what they're for.