SC - OT - 12th night

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 8 10:02:39 PST 1998

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 8-Jan-98 Re: SC - OT - 12th
night by "kappler"@edgenet.net
> Without turning this into a religious discussion (oh no mr bill!!!), I
> believe it stems from Pagan tradition.  For Pagans, the 'day' begins at
> dusk and runs to the following dusk.  Though Cristianity had ostensibly
> been the major religion of the middle ages (in Europe), my studies lead me
> to believe that this was for public display.  The average serf, and many of
> the nobility as well, were Christian in church, but still pagan in belief.

I believe this is also a Jewish tradition; I wouldn't be surprised if it
was pretty widespread until extensive use of artificial light made
extensive "after-dark" activities popular.

toodles, margaret