SC - redaction challenge

Dan Gillespie dangilsp at intrepid.net
Thu Jan 8 16:10:32 PST 1998

Greetings unto Lady Beatrix:
        Here's is a starting point for a redaction.  It sounds a lot like
the traditional English Plum Pudding.  Maybe play around with substituting
some bread crumbs in place of some of the four.  Most modern recipes call
for it to be steamed in a greased mold rather than boiled in a pudding bag.
The recipe is quite similar upon examination...just chage the spicing a
little & stir in some different dry fruits & you should be pretty well set.
        The recipe is from the ever-handy 1967 Joy of Cooking....a must for
starting ANY intersting redactions, IMHO,
                                Antoine

- -1 C flour, sifted
- -2 C chopped suet
- -1 lb seedless raisins
- -1 lb currants
- -1/2 lb citron (candied, I suppose)
Dredge the suet & dry fruit in part of the flour.  Resift the rest of the
flour with:
- -1 nutmeg, grated
- -1 Tbsp cinnamon
- -1/2 Tbsp mace
- -1 tsp salt
- -1/2 C brown sugar
Mix dry fruit into flour mix & add
- -7 egg yolks
- -1/4 C cream
- -1/2 C brandy
- -3 C dry bread crumbs (I didn't see this ingredient on 1st glance)
Whip separately til stiff:  7 egg whites
Fold egg whites lightly into the main mix.  Pour into greased 1 gallon mold.
Steam 6 hours.

>Cambridge Pudding
>
>Searce grated Bread through a Cullinder, mince it with flower, minct
>Dates, Currins, Nutmeg,Sinamon, and Pepper, minct Suit, new Milke warme,
>fine Sugar, and Egges: Take away some of their whites, worke all
>together. Take halfe the Pudding on the one side, and the other on the
>other side, and make it round like a loafe. Then take Butter, and put it
>in the middest of the Pudding, and the other halfe aloft. Let your Liquor
>boyle, and throw your Pudding in, being tyed in a faire cloth: when it is
>boyled enough cut it in the middest and so serve it in.
>
>Redaction Please!
>
>Lady Beatrix
>(who is going to talk cooking even if no-one else is)
Dan Gillespie
dangilsp at intrepid.net
Dan_Gillespie at usgs.gov
Martinsburg, West Virginia, USA