SC - redaction challenge

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Jan 8 23:54:03 PST 1998

Actually, Kat, I'm fairly sure that pot liquor, referring to the intensely
flavored, distilled juices left from the cooking of foods in the cook-pot,
is where the term "liquor" came from, referring to the "juices" left when a
wine or other alcoholic substance is distilled, but I don't have my
references handy. Please remember that Brandy, of a sort, and thus
distilling has been around since Roman times. Adamantius, what do you
think?

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

 Curious, that word "Liquor."  I don't think it refers to alcohol, but to
some
 other sort of fluid (brings to mind my father's expression, "pot likker,"
 referring to the water left in the pot after the asparagus/peas/whatever
has
 been cooked and removed).

 Anyone have any insight on the meaning of the term "Liquor" at this time
 period?

 	- kat, who would kill for an OED...