SC - onion soup - IP

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri Jan 9 09:42:09 PST 1998

>Kat answered my inquiry:
>Good Stefan asks:
>> If not, my question still stands, Does anyone know of a medieval onion
>> soup that uses a meat broth?
>
>I believe (book not in front of me) that one or more of the "onyon soppes"
>recipes in Take 1000 Eggs (these are from Harleian MS, no?) calls for onions,
>water, and almond milk "made with wine or broth."  I could be wrong.
>-----------
>
>I’ll have to look this one up. I think I have that book *somewhere* around
>here. (yellow cover, spiral binding, yes?)

Si senor.

>However, my question was more to the overall soup base and not just
>whether it had some meat broth in it. This one appears to me, not
>having ever made it, to still end up being a white/cream base rather
>than a brown, meat one. I imagine there is a better, more precise way
>to phrase the question than I initially did.
>
>Stefan li Rous

Hello!  Here are the recipes for onion soups from Take 1000 Eggs:

Harleian MS. 279, Potage Dyvers
xxx. Soupes dorroy. Shere Oynonys, an frye hem in oyle; [th]anne take Wyne,
an boyle with Oynonys, toste whyte Brede an do on a dysshe, an caste
[th]er-on gode Almaunde Mylke, & temper it wyth wyne:  [th]anne do [th]e
dorry a-bowte, an messe it forth.

Laud MS. 553
17 Soupes dorrees.  Nym oynons, mynce hem, frie hem in oille de olyue:  nym
oynons, boille hem with wyn, tost whit bred, & do it in dishes/ and cast
almand mylke theron, & ye wyn & ye oynons aboue, & gif hit forth.

Harleian MS. 279 - Potage Dyvers
xxxiij.  Oyle Soppys.  Take a gode quantyte of Oynonys, and mynse hem not
to smale, an sethe in fayre Water:  [th]an take hem vp, an take a gode
quantite of Stale Ale, as .iij. galouns, an [th]er-to take a pynte of Oyle
fryid, an caste [th]e Oynonys [th]er-to, an let boyle alle to-gederys a
gode whyle; then caste [th]er-to Safroune, powder Pepyr, Sugre, an Salt, an
serue forth alle hote as tostes, as in [th]e same maner for a Mawlard & of
a capon, & hoc quære.

Harleian MS. 4016
130 Oyle soppes.  Take a good quantite of oynons, and myce hem, no[3]t to
smale, & seth hem in faire water, And take hem vppe; and then take a good
quantite of stale ale, as .iij. galons, And there-to take a pynte of goode
oyle that is fraied, and cast the oynons there-to, And lete al boyle
togidre a grete [while];  and caste there-to Saffron and salt, And [th]en
put brede, in maner of brewes, and cast the licour there-on, and serue hit
forth hote.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow
renfrow at skylands.net