SC - fat rendering?

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Jan 12 22:57:03 PST 1998

Stefan,

The rendering you have right, you're merely removing the oil from the fat.
The olive oil was to stretch the lamb fat since I didn't really have enough
lamb fat for the browning I was doing. Olive oil is a flavored oil, not
particularly good for high temperature cooking, though certainly not bad.
Peanut oil can be taken to a very high temperature without smoking, and
this is one case where the cheaper oils can be of benefit, because the
cheap peanut oil has LESS flavor than the expensive ones I've tried, giving
as close to a neutral flavor as possible. Since peanuts are OOP, you don't
want that flavor, but you may want the heating characteristics. As far as
straining, just remove (and enjoy- cooks privilege) the cracklins, or in
other words, the connective tissue left behind from the rendering.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Philippa gave a lamb/goat recipe:
:
: >1 4 lb leg of lamb, deboned and cut into cubes
: >lamb fat, rendered, with olive oil
:
: What does this second line mean? Or more precisely,
: how should you do this?
:
: This is heating the lamb fat to turn it into oil, right?
: What is the olive oil for? Does this keep the fat from
: burning while it melts into oil? Should you strain the
: resulting oil?  How much olive oil should you use?
:
: Thanks.
:   Stefan li Rous
:   stefan at texas.net