SC - Original nuns, monks and Priest

margali margali at 99main.com
Tue Jan 13 05:25:57 PST 1998

> For example, I made Saracen Bruet this weekend using burgundy for my
> "red
> wine" and noticed two things:  first, the redaction I was using (Pleyn
>
> Delit) says to cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed, and that just
>
> didn't seem to be happening.  Second, the resulting sauce (after
> adding
> almond milk and spices) was a rather unappetizing pinkish gray color.
>
> The taste was fine and it all disappeared into hungry feasters, but I
> still
> feel like maybe something went wrong in the cooking process.
>
> Any suggestions?  Is it supposed to be that color, or did I do
> something
> wrong?
>
> =Caitlin

i had the same problem, so what i did was not worry about preserving the
red color, i browned the meat well and went for the rich brown color. i
have noticed, and it is backed up in a nifty book on the science of food
and cooking i have that the red coloring in wine is degraded by heat, so
if the pink is unplesant, go for a good white instead.
margali