SC - trencher question (WAS: table manners)

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jan 13 18:46:23 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/13/98 7:20:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
melc2newton at juno.com writes:

<< I think (completley undocumented of course) that the reason they used
 bread trenchers at large feasts is the same reason we use paper/plastic
 plates at picnics and the like:
 who would want to do all of those dishes afterwards?
 Beatrix >>

Plus the Cloisters in New York have a beautiful display of glass and blown
glass dishes. I would ten to agree with yo that the wood/bread trenchers were
used for large get togethers. . Even with the advent of wood trenchers, bread
trenchers were also sometimes used with them. As a side note the used bread
trenchers were often saved and soaked in wine for breakfast the next day,
IIRC.

Ras