SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #533

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at vr-net.com
Tue Jan 13 20:17:25 PST 1998

>Date: 13 JAN 98 09:44:39 AES
>From: RMcGrath at dca.gov.au
>Subject: SC - Medlar Fruits
>
>These fruits grow well in a temperate climate, but in Australia, they are
>unfortunately very rare.  In Tasmania (Australia's southernmost state)
>medlar trees can be found in some old gardens, where English immigrants had
>planted other  trees such as pear, apple, peach, mulberries, almonds, etc.

   In my catalog from Oregon Exotics, it says that these Medlar trees are
very long lived.  In fact, it claims that there is still living in a casle
courtyard in Englad at least one Medlar tree from the 1600's!  Apparently is
was documented (somewhere) that it was planted during the reign of King James I.
So, while I do not know how long it takes from planting time to first
harvest, it seems that with proper care you can pass them down to your great
great Grandchildren!

>The appearance of medlars can be somewhat offputting - they taste best when
>they are starting to rot because then the fruit is soft, sweet and tasty.
>I guess they look a little like a big fig?

   They look like round brown balls to me.  And I get the feeling that they
are not so much rotted, as they are ... aged?  Like a wine?  You pick them
in the fall after the first hard frost whent hey are still rock hard, and
store them in a dry place.  About mid winter (likely when all the other
Summer and Fall fresh fruits had been exhauseted, and the dried fruit
supplies were running low) inn keepers and whomever was lucky nough to have
one of these trees would pul out a barrel of Medlars, and Voila!  Fresh
fruit in mid winter.

>Medlars can be used in puddings and jams - yum!
>
>Anyone in Lochac have a medlar tree?  Please?

   I don't have a tree.  Just that address.  You can order a tree and plant
one yourself!  Good luck!

- -Laurene
- -
*                                          The Tiny Zoo, inc.
*
*
*
*                                         Visit our Web Site!
*
*                            http://www.vr-net.com/~tinyzoo
*