SC - Fw: [Mid] PALE event terminology

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Jan 14 05:44:04 PST 1998

Oh, Lordy, here we go again. Comments, anybody?

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Date: Tuesday, January 13, 1998 13:21:28
: From: llewmike at iwaynet.net
: To: Middlebridge
: Subject: [Mid] PALE event terminology
:
: The following is the text I sent to the editor of THE PALE.  Please copy
: all of your e-mails regarding the changes to him at pale at prairienet.org.
: I beleive that there have been more than one complaint about this
: ridiculous terminology change.
:
: Thanks,
: LLEW
:
: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
: > Subject:
: >         Your recent changes
: >   Date:
: >         Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:18:48 -0800
: >   From:
: >         llewmike at iwaynet.net
: >     To:
: >         pale at prairienet.org
: >     CC:
: >         mkchronr at aol.com
: >
: >
: > Dear Folo,
: >
: > I am sorry not to use honorifics but your listing in THE PALE does not
: > include any. It also leaves your sex up in the air so I will assume that
: > you are male.
: >
: > When I recently read your report in THE PALE regarding your changes in
: > how events are listed, you stated that you had only received one
: > complaint. Well, here is another. The reason that you received few
: > complaints was that comment was not asked. You simply presented us with
: > a fait accompli.
: >
: > I must object to the use of the term Feast Steward.  I am not one of
: > those. A steward is a person who merely oversees the serving of food -
: > not the preparation. In addition, I am not a Head Cook - this term does
: > not take into account the huge amount of work and research necessary in
: > what I and others do. I do not just cook a feast or serve one. I
: > research for months and translate original recipes (where available)
: > into English for use. This is far more complicated that what you have
: > gave us as titles. Quite bluntly, the terms you have listed not only
: > inadvertently demean my art but also serves to denigrate my hard work.
: >
: > On another note, two of the terms that you have chosen for task names
: > are somewhat inappropriate for our period. In period, a porter was the
: > gentleman who tended the wine bottles and casks under the direction of
: > the butler. Further, a hosteller was a quite well-known phrase for a
: > procurer (i.e., pimp).
: >
: > I do understand the need for clarity and streamlining, but I do beleive
: > that abandoning thirty years of SCA terminology is not the way to go
: > about it. I think that you should list us as we wish to be listed. You
: > logic to the contrary is somewhat thin.
: >
: > I am asking my friends who have been complaining on the various
: > newsgroups to forward to you copies of their complaints so that you will
: > know that you have more than one complaint.
: >
: > Thank you for your time,
: >
: > LLEW
:
: From:  llewmike at iwaynet.net
: +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+    to unsubscribe, send a message to
: `~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`    sca-middle-request at dnaco.net with
: .  |  |     |  |     |  |     |  |          'unsubscribe' as its body.