SC - trencher question (WAS: table manners)

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 14 07:22:58 PST 1998

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 13-Jan-98 Re: SC - trencher
question .. by LrdRas at aol.com
> Plus the Cloisters in New York have a beautiful display of glass and blown
> glass dishes. I would ten to agree with yo that the wood/bread trenchers were
> used for large get togethers. . Even with the advent of wood trenchers, bread
> trenchers were also sometimes used with them. As a side note the used bread
> trenchers were often saved and soaked in wine for breakfast the next day,
> IIRC.

I've also seen references to used bread trenchers being given to the
poor (folk begging alms at the gate, as it were), which fits in well
with the "large gathering" explanation.  After all, hosting a feast is a
sign of your generosity--you feed your friends to excess, you feed their
retainers, and you give to the poor, all in one gathering.

toodles, margaret