SC - Titles for Cooks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jan 14 20:36:33 PST 1998

> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:46:12 -0600
> From: L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt <liontamr at ptd.net>
> Subject: SC - Titles for Cooks

> Personally, I prefer Chef de Cuisine (thank-you, Adamantius, for suggesting
> that elegant title). Oddly enough, since I have found myself using this
> title, I find that in my kitchens, when it's my turn to be "Chef", I really
> am the "Chef".....others take from me the job of doing much of the feast,
> following my directions and recipes and allowing me to supervise the many
> procedures happening simultaneously. Naturally, I insist on getting my hands
> in the goo, too. Otherwise it would be no darned fun.

It's the funny hat. If you can maintain your dignity when wearing a
toque, you can maintain it through anything. Except, perhaps, Master
Richard the Poor of Ely and an impromptu chorus entering your kitchen
and singing the song from the opening credits of the BBC series, "Chef!"
and running out. ("I'm the best that you will find, the king of my
profession! The master of my chosen field, of that there is no question!
Serious...serious pro-fesh-unnnn, serious...serious pro-fesh-unnnn,
etc." Actually, if you ever encounter this program, it's an absolute
scream. Highly recommended, apart from the fact that it's sometimes
ineffective as satire simply because it comes too close to the realities
of the restaurant industry.)

Adamantius
troy at asan.com