SC - onion soup - IP

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Thu Jan 15 05:27:31 PST 1998

Mordanna wrote:

	>>  hmmmm
	do I perhaps see a cause?  What had been ground in the grinder
before the
	almonds?  I am not defaming your cleanliness, milady, so much as
attesting to
	the staying power of coffee stains.

Actually,  I think the issue is the wine in it.  Now that I go back and
read the originals, and then the redaction that I copied instead of
creating my own (bad apprentice, bad) I see the difference.  And
besides, my boyfriend bought me the coffee grinder so I could grind
almonds, not coffee, it was brand new.

The originals are as follows:

Harleian MS 279 - Potage Dyvers (Taken from "Take a Thousand Eggs or
More")

xj. Froyde almoundys.  Take blake sugre, an cold water, an do hem to in
a fayre potte, an let then boyle to-gedere, an salt it and skeme it
clene, an let it kele; than take almaundys, an blawnche hem clene, an
stampe hem, an draw hew, with the sugre water thikke y-now, in-to a
fayre vessel:  an [yf] the mylke be nogt swete y-now, take whyte sugre
an caste ther-to.

Harlien MS 4016 (Taken from "Take a Thousand Eggs or More")

109 Froyte de almondes.  Take blak sugur and colde water, and caste the
sugur and the water in a potte; and lete hem boile togidre, and salt,
and skemme hem clene, and let hit kele; And then take Almondes, and
blanche hem clene, and stamp hem in a morter al smal, and drawe hem thik
ynowe thorgh a streynour with sugar water, into a faire vessell. And if
hit so be that the mylke be not swete, take white sugur and cast
thereto; And serue hit forth in the maner of potage, A namly in lenton
tyme.

Now the redaction I followed (evidentially without checking back against
the originals, me bad) reads:

ALMOND MILK

1 cup blanched almonds
2 cups water, wine, or broth
1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
dash salt
white sugar to taste

Grind the almonds coarsely with 1 or 2 teaspoons cold water and place
them in a large bowl.  Put the water, sugar, and salt in an iron pot and
bring to a boil.  Pour the boiling water over the ground almonds and let
sit for 10 to 15 minutes.  Cool completely and serve as a pottage or
soupy dish.  If it is not sweet enough, add white sugar, a teaspoon at a
time, until the mixture is satisfactory.

Now, please remember this is not my redaction, and I do not want to get
into an argument about it comparing to the original.  When I made the
almond milk it was late at night and I just took it at face value.  I
guess I know why there is the discrepancy now between what Cariadoc,
Mordanna, and Ras all mentioned as the consistency of their almond milk
compared to mine.

Murkial
(the sheepish)