SC - Cook's Titles

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Jan 15 07:07:08 PST 1998

That great guy Adamantius extolled:
>I believe Lady Aoife wanted to know the female equivalent form. I regret
>to say there doesn't really appear to be one. I suppose if Cleopatra (or
>was it Nefertiti?) could be Pharoah, a lady can be a chef. Many are,
>nowadays, but I suspect Aoife is more of a Lady than the ones I have
>encountered. With respect to all concerned, I submit that the correct
>form of address for a female chef would be "Madame".

You're far to kind. For one who's been a target of one of my rare but mean
moods, I'd say you're far, far too kind. Consider yourself smooched.

Let's not forget  Helene, that Byzantine "Emperor", who presumed to help run
the Church (including theological decisions), and pacified the masses by
throwing largess out her carriage window wherever she went. Naturally it
made her immensley popular. I'm not sure that I have anything good to offer
in the way of largess (chocolate coins, perhaps?), but maybe I can pelt the
crowds with bath buns and cuskynoles! As if......

>The only historical example I can think of in period, at the moment, is
>the Savoyard chef Chiquart Amiczo (~ 15th century, IIRC), who is
>referred to in ducal household documents as Maitre Chiquart Amiczo,
>Cuisinier. There is another word in the same documents designating
>scullions, but offhand I don't recall it.

You know, dear, that this would make me "La Matron de Cuisine". Although I
have a rather matronly figure at present, I am working hard to correct that,
and am not yet ready to admit I might possibly be beginning the early stages
of getting a teensy bit matronly......

I suppose "Madame, le Chef de Cuisine: Lady Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon", as
another kind gentle has suggested, is a good compromise. It would probably
send our linguists into an early grave however. Are there any rules about
how many languages one can mix at a time? We've got French, English, Irish,
and Manx there. An even better title, however, is just plain "Aoife". I have
been known, upon occaision, to respond favorably to :
"Hey lady! Do-you-got-anything-to-eat-in-there?"  The correct answer, of
course, is to have a box of unsalted  GENERIC saltines handy for just such
emergencies!

Toodles

Aoife