SC - Fw: [Mid] feasting book

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Jan 15 17:56:34 PST 1998

More good info from the Middlebridge.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Date: Thursday, January 15, 1998 06:54:27
: From: Roy Coutinho
: To: Middlebridge
: Subject: [Mid] feasting book
:
: I posted yesterday about this book on fesivals and now I've got it in
: front of me...
:
: Cosman, Madeleine Pelner;  _Medieval Holidays and Festivals_; Published
: by Charles Scribner's Sons, New York in 1981; ISBN 0-684-17172-4.
:
: I'll list here, for educational purposes only, credit where credit is
: due, basically the important Banquet Officers this book describes:
:
: 1) Almoner, collects leftover food gifts for the poor, symbol is a large
: "alms" dish.
: 2) Butler, Protects and mixes wines, symbols are the large keys to the
: wine cellar.
: 3) Carver, carves meats at table, symbol is big carving knife
: 4) Chief Cook, protecting feasters' health and creating food art, symbol
: is a tasting spoon and a painting feather.
: 5) Cup Bearer, tests wines and drinks for purity and safety, symbol is a
: tastng cup.
: 6) Dresser, arranges food on serving platters, symbol is tweezers or
: scissors.
: 7) Laverer, brings water to feasters to wash hands, symbol is an
: "Aquamanile" (a water pitcher) and a fringed towel.
: 8) Master of Venerie, presents important game animals as hunting
: trophies, symbol is a hunting horn.
: 9) Page, directs feasters to tables and refills cups, symbol is a small
: cap with a feather.
: 10) Pantler, cuts upper crust of ceremonial bread and prepares bread
: trenchers, symbol is a "Portpayne" (ceremonial knife for cuting upper
crust.
: 11) Patisser, making and decorating pastry and cakes, symbol is an icing
: comb.
: 12) Quistron, turns spits for roasting meats, symbol is a pair of heavy
: gloves.
: 13) Rotisser, designs, prepares, and presents roasted food, symbol is
: some long needles.
: 14) Saucer, prepares sauces and glazes, symbol is a stirring spoon.
: 15) Servitor, ceremonially serves food at tables, symbol is a baldric.
: 16) Surveyor of Ceremonies, directs all feast fesitvities,  symbol is a
: large key.
: 17) Warner, creates subtleties (food-art), symbol is a painting feather
: and a sculpturing knife.
:
: There's a few positions that are the minimum needed so smaller households
: may only have these:
: Butler, Chief Cook, Laverer, Page, Pantler, Servitor, and Surveyor of
: Ceremonies.
:
: I'll betcha that if one wanted to, one could find a name amoung thesefor
: each SCA member participating in a feast.  I think it would be impossible
: tho, to choose just one that *everybody* would agree is the ultimate and
: only name to give the "artist formerly known as Feast-o-crat."  I'd say
: that it would be cool to see a feast which utilized each of these
: positions, but *I* wouldn't want to run it! ;)
:
: But if you're interested in feasting -- go get this book!
: --Lady Sophia of Sternfeld
:
: From:  Roy Coutinho <cebus at in.net>
: +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+    to unsubscribe, send a message to
: `~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`    sca-middle-request at dnaco.net with
: .  |  |     |  |     |  |     |  |          'unsubscribe' as its body.