SC - Fishy fishy fishy fish

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Thu Jan 15 15:19:54 PST 1998

Phlip forwarded a few opinions from somebody who didn't like fishy fish.

This is reasonable - what makes fish smell fishy is hanging around for a
few days. At this stage it will upset the delicate stomachs among us. I
have done considerable research which suggests, however, that salmonella
and the other biggies of food-poisoning are at this stage a day or two
away, even from raw fish. The greatest risk would be stuff that was not
properly cooked.

In a similar vein, I guess people here notice that meat left out for a
couple of days does not smell awful, but the water/blood that drips out
of it does. Again, the meat seems to be safe for the hardy (I eat a lot of
things whihc I would never dare serve to people I did not know to be
like-stomached, which in my case means like-minded) or ignorant, but I
would drain it. Green meat is fine, if the smell can be more or less
removed by a good rinsing. But the blood-soup it is in is a worry - I
have never tried it.

(If you want to know what something is like, suck it and see. Or get a
squire to. Good science is dead, and we no longer get things like
"Sulfuric acid tastes like lemon juice". Oh well.)

Charles Ragnar