SC - Onion Soups

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Sat Jan 17 08:58:27 PST 1998

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba said:

I didn't keep the originals, hence don't remember the details, but I
know there was some discussion recently of onion soup.  Someone (I
think) wanted to know if there were any onion soups based on a meat
stock, and there was also some lively debate about "French"
onion soups topped with bread and cheese.  Here is a translation of
a recipe from the 1528 edition of the "Libro de Guisados".

Thank you. I was the one wondering about meat stock based medieval
onion soups.
<<<<<

Potage of Onions Which They Call "Cebollada"

Take peeled onions which are well washed and clean and cut them in
thick slices, <snip>  And if the
onions dry up, cast in some good fatty mutton broth until the onions
are well cooked.  And then take almonds which are well peeled and
white and grind them well in a mortar and then dissolve them in
good mutton broth and pass them through a woolen strainer and then
cast the almond milk in the pot with the onions and mix it well, and
cook them well until the onions are cooked in the almond milk,

Interesting. I’m not sure if this soup would resemble a sort of
creamy, modern broth soup or a brownish, almond milk soup. Since
this recipe is from the 16th century, I wonder if the onion soups
generally started with a cream (or almond milk) base and gradually
changed to ones of just meat broth. This one, having both, might
fall somewhere in the middle both in time and type. So far, our
sample size is a bit small to justify this conjecture, but is
something to consider.

Stefan li Rous