SC - Parchment, Hungarian, Titles, A Quest, and a Reminder

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 18 09:16:01 PST 1998

At 14:48 18-1-98 +0000, Alys Katharine wrote:
>A Quest:  Of _Ovverture de Cvisine_ she writes, (p. 31) "It is the
>first cookbook in French that is not a reworking of medieval recipes;
>it contains an international collection of recipes both for cookery and
>for confectionary.  What is, to the best of my knowledge, the only
>extant copy, was acquired in 1958 by the Bibliotheque Royale Albert Ier
>in Brussels.  The only other recorded copy was destroyed in a fire
>during the Napoleonic wars.  Its owner had published a partial and
>faulty description of the volume before its destruction."  She goes on
>to say that Marx Rumpolt's _Ein new Kochbuch_, Frankfurt, 1581, is more
>comprehensive.  A quest???  Would anyone want to find out if
>_Ovverture_ has been printed?  Translated?  Webbed?  Still at the
>Bibliotheque??

I did a quick check with Metacrawler.  "Ovverture de Cvisine" got me
nothing; "Ouverture de Cuisine" scored eleven hits.  Most were in French,
which I don't read, but a cursory glance seemed to indicate that they were
mostly more modern references.

"she writes, (p. 31)" refers to Barbara Wheaton's *Savoring the Past*.
Jessica's Biscuit (www.jessicas.com/Database/French13.html) has this
available for $12.80.

As for the Rumpolt book, Hellmut Schumann AG, in Zuerich, has a
first-edition copy listed in their catalogue (last updated 4 Sep 97) for a
mere sFr 125000.  (Anybody know the current exchange rate? 8) )  The book
sounds absolutely wonderful - for a description, see
www.schumann.ch/kataloge/science.txt.

Alasdair mac Iain

James and/or Nancy Gilly
katiemorag at worldnet.att.net