SC - Parchment, Hungarian, Titles, A Quest, and a Reminder

Jane Waks waks at world.std.com
Sun Jan 18 09:40:32 PST 1998

>At 14:48 18-1-98 +0000, Alys Katharine wrote:
>>A Quest:  Of _Ovverture de Cvisine_ she writes, (p. 31) "It is the
>>first cookbook in French that is not a reworking of medieval recipes;
>>it contains an international collection of recipes both for cookery and
>>for confectionary.  What is, to the best of my knowledge, the only
>>extant copy, was acquired in 1958 by the Bibliotheque Royale Albert Ier
>>in Brussels.  The only other recorded copy was destroyed in a fire
>>during the Napoleonic wars.  Its owner had published a partial and
>>faulty description of the volume before its destruction."  She goes on
>>to say that Marx Rumpolt's _Ein new Kochbuch_, Frankfurt, 1581, is more
>>comprehensive.  A quest???  Would anyone want to find out if
>>_Ovverture_ has been printed?  Translated?  Webbed?  Still at the
>>Bibliotheque??

I have a copy.  From the title page:
"Ouverture de Cuisine, par Lancelot de Casteau.  Presentation
du livre par Herman Liebaers. Translation en francais moderne
et glossaire par Leo Moulin.  Commentaires gastronomique
par Jacques Kother.
1983, De Schutter, Anvers/Bruxelles"

The ISBN, which is given elsewhere, is 90-70667-05-3

There is a 33 page preface, then a facsimile of the original
1604 text, only some of the pages of the facsimile are
numbered but there are approximately 160 pages.  That
is followed by a translation, with commentaries, into
modern French, and a glossary.

Yes, the *entire book* is in French.  I've been planning on
producing an English translation, but Life has intervened,
so far.

As far as I know, it has not been Webbed.  I believe that
some folks in An Tir have worked out some of the recipes,
but I'm not in touch with them, so I don't know how far
they've gotten.

			Caitlin Davies
			Carolingia, East Kingdom