SC - Parchment, Hungarian, Titles, A Quest, and a Reminder

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Jan 19 09:50:26 PST 1998

And it came to pass on 18 Jan 98, that david friedman wrote:

> At 8:48 AM -0600 1/18/98, Elise Fleming wrote:
>
> >It would be an interesting research project to look
> >through European cookery books for recipes "in the XXX manner" and see
> >what one could hypothesize.
>
> But risky. There is a period Portuguese cookbook with a recipe for
> "Moorish Chicken." One of the ingredients is bacon.

The "Libro de Guisados" has a recipe for Moorish Eggplant which calls
for the eggplant to be fried in bacon fat "or sweet oil, because the
Moors do not eat bacon."  Sounds like a deliberate substitution
of a preferred but inauthentic ingredient.  I can easily imagine a
subsequent printing of that recipe which omits the comment about
using oil.

It's always risky to study a cuisine secondhand.  Consider how many
Mexican and Chinese dishes have been modified (or invented!) in the
US.  Personally, I'm still trying to understand the genesis of
a recipe for "Jewish Cornbread" with diced bacon I found in a
1970's-era community cookbook.  I can only guess that the contributor
got it from a non-observant Jewish friend, and was did not realize
that it could not be a traditional Jewish recipe.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net