SC - Mushroom Pasties

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jan 19 16:00:42 PST 1998

Mushroom Pasties
"The Goodman of Paris" adapted in "The Medieval Cookbook" by Maggie Black.

1 lb mushrooms				1/2 tsp salt
2 T. olive oil				1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 oz grated cheese (cheddar)		1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
1 egg, beaten				salt

tart shells & pastry to top

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Finely chop mushrooms. Put in a bowl and mix in oil, cheese, and seasonings.
Place in the tart shells and cover with the top crust. Seal with beaten egg.
Make a small cross cut in the center of the lid to let steam escape.

Bake for 15-18 minutes. Serve warm.

I first made these using a pie pastry and lining muffin cups. These were very
cute but making 400 of these in less than a week forced me to other measures.
I wound up putting a spoonful in the center of a round wonton and topping with
another wonton wrapper. Baked, these came out crunchy/chewy with the rich mushroom/
cheese filling. I really liked these and if you are making them for less than 400
fully recommend the muffin sized pies.

The mushrooms will become watery so you may want to press out some of the water
after they have been chopped. Don't wait too long to either freeze or cook the
mushrooms as they will turn bitter if left for too long.

The mushrooms freeze well.

Yers,

Gunthar