SC - Phyllo mushroom pa

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Jan 22 12:38:16 PST 1998

At 10:11 AM -0800 1/21/98, Marisa Herzog (brid) wrote:
>Does anybody know what type of mushrooms would have been used in period that
>they would have needed to be parboiled and peeled?  ...

What Menagier says is , "Mushrooms of one night are the best, and are small
and red inside, closed
above..." I don't know what species this would correspond to.

On the question about freezing the pies whole, my inpression is that
quiches or similar things frozen and thawed just aren't the same.  However,
the most labor-intensive part of doing a pie is making the crust, and the
crusts have no problem with freezing.  What you can do is to make the
crust, put it in a pie pan, put the whole thing into a zip-lock bag, use a
straw to get all the air out and seal the bag, and freeze that.  It takes
less space in the freezer than the whole pie, since the empty pie shells
stack.  All you have to do on the day, then, is to make the filling, dump
it into the pie shells, and bake--and you can do that first thing in the
morning or even the day before if you plan to serve it cold. I do this
recipe without a top crust; if you are adding one, with or without fancy
cut-outs, you would have to do that on the day.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook