SC - Buffalo

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Jan 26 06:51:19 PST 1998

>In a message dated 1/24/98 3:01:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>korrin.daardain at juno.com writes:
>
><< TW Any one have a period recipe that I can use 1.25 LB of ground buffalo
> in? >>
>
>Surely Aiofe's copy of Mrs. Washington's cookbook should cover this subject?
>
>Ras

Now you're pulling my leg. I'm less "American" than you, Ras. I'm a 1-st
generation american from my mother's side (she's a fabulously beautiful
red headed welsh-irish Cockney Londoner). My Dad is Penna Dutch (and
mennonite), with the bloodlines pretty much stationary in PA and undiluted
until he married my mom. Thus, I am unlikely to have much in the way of
buffalo recipes. Mrs. Washington didn't go in for Buffalo, either.The only
"old" recipe for Buffalo I have is for Boudins from Buffalo intestines as
casings, and their blood. This is found in *French Cooking in Early
America*, Patricia B Mitchell, self-published. Frankly, the research is
so-so and she does occaiaionally quote a source (as in the Boudin or
black/blood pudding, which is a sausage of many cultural claims), but as far
as redactions go, I'd say this series  of thick pamphlets, self-published
and avaialable at many historic sites, is NOT reccomended. Unless, of
course, you LIKE patently modern recipes thinly disguised as historic food.
If I have to use modern substitutions, I like to know what they substitute
for. Ms Mitchel doesn't always (or even usually) tell us.

Aoife