SC - Saunders powder

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 07:05:58 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/26/98 7:40:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au writes:

<< I gather this is some kind of red coloring agent, but wonder what it
 actually is.>>

It is powdered sandalwood.  There are two varieties of sandalwood> red and
yellow.  Yellow is used for incense.  Red is used for cooking (e.g., medieval)
and furniture making.  The red variety is for all intent and purpose
flavorless.

<< Is it period (which period?)>>

Yes, It was used extensively in period recipes covering several centuries and
fell out of favor when paprika was discovered at the very end of SCA period.

<< and if not, is there a medieval
 substitute that anybody knows of? >>

I am unaware of a substitute that is period.  I would venture the opinion that
a substitute was unnecessary.  Indeed, it is available from any good spicery
in the current MA.

Ras